Pledge to Net Zero...
We are in a Climate and Environmental Emergency, with time running out to address the many challenges that lie in front of us.
'Pledge to Net Zero' has been established to commit organisations from the environmental sector to take a leadership role in the transition to a Net Zero carbon economy.
Pledge signatories commit to the following:
1. Set and commit to deliver greenhouse gas reductions in line with Science Based Targets’ 1.5°C climate change scenario. For those in the environmental consultancy sector it must cover buildings and travel as a minimum.
2. Publicly report greenhouse gas emissions and progress against this target each year.
3. Publish one piece of research/thought-leadership each year on practical steps to delivering an economy in line with climate science and in support of net zero carbon. Alternatively, signatories may choose to provide mentoring and support for smaller signatory companies in setting targets, reporting and meeting the requirements of the pledge.
Race to Zero
Race to Zero is a group of more than 11,000 non-governmental organisations and you can join this for free through Pledge To Net Zero. Membership is available through Pledge To Net Zero subject to meeting three additional requirements:
1. Plan – within 12 months of joining, publicly disclose a transition plan which sets out how your organisation will deliver your 2030 carbon targets
2. Process – you need to be taking fast action to meet your carbon targets (your targets should cover scopes 1, 2 and 3 emissions)
3. Persuade – within 12 months of joining, align external policy and engagement including association membership to the goal of halving emissions by 2030 and net zero by 2050. This includes proactively supporting climate policies at the subnational and national level consistent with the Race to Zero criteria.
Pledge before the 5th December 2023 (World Soil Day) for your organisation to be a leader and drive the changes required to meet the UK's Net Zero greenhouse gas emissions 2050 target. Find out more and make a pledge via the link below.
The initiative has been developed by the environmental sector with the aim of making the wider sector a leader for taking action on climate change. It was co-founded by the Society for the Environment (SocEnv), the Association for Consultancy and Engineering (ACE), the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) and the Environmental Industries Commission (EIC), together with leading environmental consultancies WSP and AECOM.